I thought I had the rest of my life planned out. I would stick it out at the company I worked for another five years until I saved enough to retire in style. But in June 2006, I was laid-off as part of a reorganization. I could feel my blood boil when my supervisor reviewed my severance package and retirement benefits… Retire? I wasn’t ready to retire!
When I got over the shock of losing my job, I realized it was a gift. I had been very unhappy for several years, but allowed the lure of a lucrative regular paycheck to hold me back from pursuing my dream of becoming a Coach. My confidence was at an all-time low and my fears were at an all-time high. What did I know about starting a business? Suppose I failed? Maybe I would find I didn’t have the right skills. Now that my secure paycheck was no longer secure–it was now or never. I decided to go for it.
In the fall 2009, I became a part of a career network started by Tory Johnson, Good Morning America’s workplace contributor. I began to explore what ways I could help others find the passion and joy in their career I now know is possible. As I worked with my career club clients, I saw that each member needed a resume-makeover.
Besides helping people with job search skills and materials, one of my other favorite things is to help leaders grow within their job. Do you have a mentor or coach who is objective, is familiar with corporate life and its expectations, and whose only goal is to see you and your team succeed (no worry about what you say will get back to your boss)? If you would like to explore how a coach can help you in your career, call for an initial consultation to see if we’re a match.
INTERESTED IN FORMAL BACKGROUND STUFF?
- More than 25 years as a human resources manager
- Experience in non-profit, distribution, manufacturing, and pharmaceutical industries
- Last position in a multi-billion dollar global organization
- MS in Human Resources Development—Rochester Institute of Technology
- BA in Education—William Paterson University
- SHRM-SPC, SPHR (Senior Professional Human Resources) Certifications
- CPC (Certified Professional Coach)—iPEC Coaching Program
- ACRW (Academy Certified Resume Writer)—Resume Writing Academy